Michael McFadden 1874-1881

Captain Michael McFadden became Chief of the Fire department in 1874, rising from the ranks through pure merit. Among the many satisfactory improvements introduced by him was the fire alarm telegraph system, which was accomplished by soliciting subscriptions from the citizens. He held the positions of Chief until his death which occurred on January 3rd 1881. The high esteem in which he was held by the department members, and citizens in general, was manifested by the attendance of his funeral. Chief Michael McFadden was succeeded by then Captain James Burke of Engine Company Number 4.

Chief Michael McFadden is buried in Calvary  Cemetery, his marker is located on the Southwest side of Priest Mound, in an area know an as the Firemans Lot.

Prior to becoming Chief  of he Department Michael McFadden served as pipeman on Desoto Fire Company #3 from 1865 to 1867.  From 1868 to 1873 our records indicate he was assigned as the Captain of Company #4.

 

Site Credits