|Fire Safety And
Check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Batteries in smoke detectors should be changed every six months. It is a good practice to change your smoke detector batteries whenever you change the time on your clock (Spring forward – Fall back). Citizens in the City of Memphis who reside in owner-occupied, one and two family dwellings who do not have a smoke detector and cannot afford one may stop in at the fire station nearest their home and apply to have a detector installed by the Memphis Fire Department. If you cannot get to a fire station, you can call our Fire Museum Public Education Office at 901-320-5650.
Have your chimney inspected and cleaned in the fall before using your fireplace. Creosote is a highly flammable by-product of burned wood that accumulates in fireplaces/chimneys. Sparks from your fireplace can ignite the creosote and cause a fire in your home. Additionally, your chimney should be inspected to make sure that there are no cracks that may allow sparks to enter hidden spaces and cause fire. Candles must also be used safely! And finally, NEVER LEAVE A LIGHTED CANDLE OR A FIRE IN YOUR FIREPLACE UNATTENDED! If you do not plan to stay awake, alert, and present until all embers from the fire are extinguished and cold, do not start a fire. Make sure that all candles are extinguished before leaving home or falling asleep.
Make sure that space heaters are inspected and cleaned prior to use. Make sure that there are no leaks in gas lines, electrical cords are in good condition, and that all accumulations of dust, lint, and debris have been cleaned from heaters prior to use. Also, make sure that there is a minimum of three (3) ft clearance between all heating devices and any combustible materials (paper, drapes/curtains, bedspreads, etc.)
HOME FIRE ESCAPE
When it comes to escaping your home in the event of a fire, the old adage “Practice Makes Perfect” definitely applies. You should identify at least two (2) escape routes from all areas in your home, identify a common meeting place outside of the home, and practice your escape plan regularly so that it becomes second nature. Also, once you have escaped from your home, NEVER GO BACK IN! Many fire injuries and/or deaths would be avoided if people would stay out of burning buildings once they have exited. Go to the nearest telephone and call 911 so that trained fire/rescue personnel can be dispatched to handle the emergency.
VISIT THE FIRE MUSEUM OF MEMPHIS
The City of Memphis is fortunate to have a state of the art museum facility, which highlights both fire safety, as well as the history of the fire services. The Fire Museum of Memphis, at 118 Adams in downtown Memphis hosts tours where visitors can view fire apparatus, children can play in the playroom, and there is an interactive fire room where a home fire is simulated. The Fire Museum also has rental space available for meetings and birthday parties. Ticket and reservation information can be obtained by calling 901-320-5650.